Getting a job with a disorderly conduct charge on your record

On Behalf of | Feb 5, 2020 | Firm News

Going out with friends to a casino and having a good time is something most people enjoy. However, when fun crosses the line, criminal charges can be the result. Even minor issues can affect your ability to get a job or cause concern at your current position. Taking the appropriate steps after some common charges can help minimize their impact. 

According to, there are different forms of disorderly conduct. Disturbing the peace occurs when a person conducts themselves in a way that breaches public order. This can include playing loud music, shouting or otherwise making excessively loud noise, fighting or threatening to fight in public or allowing your dog to bark for an extended length of time. 

Passionately supporting a cause is great. Unfortunately, it can result in an arrest for civil disobedience if you take it too far. Depending on the situation, the charge can become a specific misdemeanor, such as disorderly conduct, failure to disperse or trespassing. 

Most of the time these crimes are not violent. Explaining the circumstances and taking responsibility for your role in the situation to an employer often can help alleviate concerns. If you are looking for a new job, you can run a background check of your own to see if any criminal charges appear. There may be items on it that you have completely forgotten about. While they may be minor, it can blindside you in an interview, derailing your job search efforts. 

When completing a job application, be honest. If the charges occurred several years ago, prepare to explain what happened. Depending on the precise circumstances, consider getting your records expunged, especially if it was an accusation, not a conviction. Visit our webpage for more information.